These are a fantastic quick, any-time snack that can be frozen for convenience. By adding a variety of veggies of your choice the flavours can always change, keeping it exciting and fresh.
- 12 egg whites
- 3 shallots, diced (any onion can be substituted)
- 2 cups baby leaf spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 red, yellow or orange pepper, diced (your choice, but use some colour)
- 1/2 cup sundried tomatoes, drained from oil
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp ground corriander
- 1 tsp Sambal Olek chilli paste (use according to your liking)
- 2 discs fat reduced feta cheese, crumbed
Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 12 holder muffin tin with generous amounts of butter (not margarine) as egg readily stick to the muffin trays.
Blend the egg whites, sun-dried tomatoes and chilli paste in the blended until smooth. In a pan, grill the onions and garlic until slightly brown. Add the remaining vegetables and cook until al dente. Add the fresh coriander, parsley and ground coriander and continue to stir fry until vegetables are cooked.
Place the egg mixture in a bowl and add the crumbed feta. Transfer the cooked vegetables to the bowl and stir the egg and veggie mixture until well combined. Scoop the veggie-egg mixture into the muffin tins and bake until the eggs have set.
One muffin equals roughly 2 egg whites so a full meal will require 2 egg McMuffins. Serve with sweet chilli or pesto.
This recipe is equal to 2 small protein bars: